Thursday, June 28, 2007

THIRTEEN MOM-ISMS


Yes, folks, we've all been caught saying/doing things our mothers (or fathers!) did that we swore we never would. I catch myself all the time and can't help laughing--or groaning-- about it.

1. "Good God in Heaven!"
2. "Who do you think you're talking to?"
3. "Sit back down. I'm not through looking at you yet!"
4. The Look of Death. Not only can I make Son cringe, but Sweetheart and the dog too!
5. "Five in your eye!"
6. "Well, shit!"
7. "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."
8. The Grab. That perfectly executed, lightning quick snatch of arm/shoulder/hair that results in the immediate arrest of wrongdoing.
9. The Clutch. A life-or-death grab done to furniture/rails/rollover bars when child is teetering on the edge of oblivion (usually directly following "Mom! Watch this!").
10. "You'll go blind sitting that close to the TV."
11. "Your face will freeze that way!"
12. The Whoop. Though I will never achieve my mother's level of perfection, I am formulating my own unique version. (See June 18 blog for a more detailed explanation.)
13. "What did I just say." (Combined with #4, this is especially deadly.)

Feel free to add your own -isms in comments!

2 Comments:

Rhonda Helms said...

HAHAHAHAHA--ah, yes...the mom-isms. I've picked up some of those myself...

Robyn said...

My mom had "the noise." When sounded, the noise (a cross between nuh-uh and a game show buzzer) indicated cease, desist, and don't even think about it. I have absolutely inherited it.