Thursday, February 28, 2008

THIRTEEN FAVORITE BOOKS FROM MY KIDHOOD
.
1. If I Ran The Circus--Dr. Seuss. The copy actually belonged to my sister, but I would sneak it away over and over again just to look at the pictures and read those crazy words.
2. Frederick--Leo Lionni. My mother got me this book for Christmas (I think) one year. It's lovely and has a nice message behind it about everyone having a gift to give.
3. Go, Dog, Go!--PD Eastman. "Do you like my hat?" "I do not like it!" "Goodbye then!" "Goodbye!" I loved those dogs!!
4. Beezus And Ramona--Beverly Cleary. I seriously identified with Ramona.
5. Harriet The Spy--Louise Fitzhugh. I tried keeping a notebook for a while, but it fizzled.
6. The Bike Lesson--Stan & Jan Berenstain. I can't say enough about this one. Love it. Love it. Papa Bear does maneuvers on that bike that will turn your hair white.
7. Horton Hatches The Egg--Dr. Seuss. "I meant what I said and I said what I meant: An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent!" Horton rocks.
8. The Wednesday Witch--Ruth Chew. A fun little story about a girl, a witch who rides a vacuum cleaner named James, and a shrinking potion.
9. Little House Series--Laura Ingalls Wilder. Loved them all. I think my favorite was probably On The Banks of Plum Creek.
10. Nancy Drew--Carolyn Keene. The original hardcovers, of course. My favorite was probably The Secret of Shadow Ranch, but they all were just good reads.
11. Charlotte's Web--EB White. I still get all misty when Charlotte dies.
12. A Child's Life In Tale And Fable--This is a children's primer published in 1908 I got from my grandma's house. It has the original Little Red Riding Hood where she gets eaten by the wolf and the hunstman chops her out. (Excellent.)
13. Little Golden Books--How can I pick one favorite? There was the poky puppy, Scuffy, Tootle... oh, such friends in those books.
What are some of your faves? Share!
.

7 Comments:

Rhonda Helms said...

Oh wow, SO many of these were favs of mine, too (and I always identified with poor Beezus! ROFL).

I loved Homecoming, A Wrinkle in Time, Where The Red Fern Grows (*sob!*), Bridge to Terabithia...so many good books! And I devoured the Ramona books, too...LOL

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the poky little puppy!!! My parents used to hide it because they got so sick of reading it to me. And now they're gleefully rubbing their hands together in anticipation of baby Honey driving me insane with the same book... evil parents. :)

Robyn said...

I loved a lot of these- especially Nancy Drew. She was pretty smart for a girl who got knocked out every book, wasn't she? You'd think multiple concussions would have a detrimental effect.

Oh, Rhonda, A Wrinkle in Time. LOVED the whole series, and her Meet the Austins series.

Spy Scribbler said...

Oh, the Little Golden Books! I remember those! I think that's why my favorite color is gold. :-)

I also loved Nancy Drew and Little House. And C.S. Lewis!

Bernita said...

"Fifty Famous Fairy Tales" which I bought with my own money.
And Nancy Drew.
And Peter Rabbit.

StarvingWriteNow said...

Oh, YES!!! The Tale Of Samuel Whiskers--my fave Beatrix Potter of all time... sigh...

Barrie said...

My favorite Dr. Seuss was: And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street. Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon, Cherry Ames, Mrs. Mike (in junior high AND I just ordered it from amazon!), Galliano's Circus series by Enid Blyton.