Thursday, August 14, 2008


THIRTEEN MOVIES THAT EXPLAIN MY LIFE
(TT idea courtesy of Frances, who is responsible--or at fault--for me starting this blog in the first place...)
.
Don't you wish sometimes that life was just like a movie? Cool outfits, exotic locales, danger, adventure, romance... and all the bad guys caught and the problems resolved before the credits roll. Lovely thought but totally impractical; I'd need at least thirteen examples to get a relatively whole picture:
.
1. An Affair To Remember. Despite making fun of it on a daily basis, I still believe in love.
2. Dawn Of The Dead. Me after one too many glasses of Pinot Noir. Uhhhhgggghhh...
3. Rear Window. I wanted to grow up cool and classy looking like Grace Kelly. In reality I'm more like Jimmy Stewart.
4. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Three lessons: 1) In life you have to make do or do without (where's my coconuts?), 2) Friends who will stand by you are important (especially when facing killer bunnies), and 3) Sometimes you get sidetracked on your way to success (the Castle Anthrax).
5. Gone With The Wind. What happens to my paycheck every two weeks now that I own a house.
6. The Exorcist. Responsible for my family nickname (Exorcist Lady). When I get really angry, my head does actually turn a full 360 degrees. Ask son.
7. Frankenstein. Living with a teenager.
8. The Ten Commandments. That plague of locusts is eerily similar to my house on a weekend, when hordes of teenage boys descend upon my cozy little kitchen, tear through my snack stashes and leave the cupboards stripped of anything that resembles sustenance.
9. Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try for serenity and peace, there's always some dingbat waiting around to execute Order 66 and start the chaos and hysterics all over again (Nooooooo!).
10. Better Off Dead. Life in high school, complete with cartoons.
11. Raiders of the Lost Ark. That opening sequence mirrors my typical morning routine exactly. And people wonder why I always look exhausted...
12. The Cowboys. What life must have been like for my dad herding five kids around the farm to get work done.
13. Duel. Driving to work on a daily basis. I can totally channel Dennis Weaver--look out!
.
So tell: what movie, or movies, would best illustrate your life?
.

4 Comments:

Robyn said...

Crazy People.

And thank you Frances, for getting Beth to start this blog!

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

Interesting. I think movies do show something about the person. Or at least they open a little door and one can peek through at something broader. I love almost everything on your list; telling you which I don't would be....well...telling.

Bernita said...

If I told you...
Just kidding!

Elizabeth said...

You guys are great. I still want to know what your movies are though... I should have tagged you!