Monday, October 23, 2006

There's nothing like life or death situations to make you start to think.

There I was, driving to work, minding my own business. I spy a man walking his dog along the sidewalk. He stops at a driveway, makes an adjustment, and steps out into the street, without looking even once in my direction.

I slammed on my brakes so hard the nose of my old Camry practically hit the pavement. I'm blaring the horn, jerking the wheel to the right, praying I don't hit the guy or his dog--Yes, I was THAT close.

Thanks to a quick jump forward from him and a near-miss of a mailbox for me, nothing happened except my heart nearly exploded from my chest. I drove the rest of the way to work unable to take a complete breath, clutching the steering wheel and thinking what if??

And thanking the heavens I didn't have to look any closer at that question this morning.

0 Comments: