Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I'm about 5,000 words into NaNoWriMo as of today. Woo hoo for me!

I know what you're thinking. What's the big deal about that? The goal for the month is 50,000!

Well, last year my creative muse up and left me for a better venue and I bowed out before the month was over. I can't remember how many words I got written, but it wasn't much. So this year, having 5,000 down in the first week is, to me, an accomplishment.

My story is going well; it is an unlikely romance between the director of a horror film and an attorney who stumbles on to his set and then proceeds to send a wrecking ball through the rest of his well-laid plans. They have a lot in common; they're both very focused professionals who don't give any time or thought to love and fulfillment until it up and whacks them with a stick. Or, in this situation, a briefcase. She's 40, never married, with two dogs and a nice little career in the trust and testament business. She's a sort of conglomeration of me and other women I know (as most of my heroines are). He's 36, never married and a driving force in the horror films industry. I modeled him after Eli Roth, fright king extraordinaire and a smoking hot guy besides.

(chuckling) Yeah, a younger guy. I must be having a midlife crisis.

Back to my imagination now...

3 Comments:

Robyn said...

Yay for a 40-year-old heroine!

I got to 29,000 last year. I'm going for it again this year, I'm at about 10,000. Who decided to do this in November? Holidays, kids home from school tying up computer time, hello?

StarvingWriteNow said...

I agree; November is not a good time of year for me, either. But I'm pressing on!

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic! November is a crazy month ... I guess the thought is that we can 'cram' Thanksgiving weekend, LOL ...

I can't even start my nano yet because I'm behind on a couple projects. I'm still hoping to start, and finish this month!