Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Resolutions

Do I have any? Believe it or not, yes.

Most years I veer away from resolutions because I don't want to deal with the guilt of not living up to them. However, as this year tolls its final bells, I am preparing myself to make, and keep, several.

1. New Year, New Me. This one's pretty basic, but very important. I'm reaching a magical, wondrous pinnacle of womanhood in 2007: I'm turning 40. While I believe that intellectually, spiritually, and emotionally I get better every year, the mirror tells me that physically I'm starting to slide downhill. So, I have made a commitment to myself: that I will downsize my figure before my birthday (March 14 if you'd like to send gifts) and I will practice daily good habits--like exercising and skin care and watching what goes into my mouth. I will go to the doctor, the dentist, the eye doctor. I will get my hair cut at a salon from now on.

2. Think Positive. I'm better than I used to be, but I still have a ways to go. I will commit to thinking positive thoughts about myself, my writing, my work and my future. I will bash the living daylights out of the procrastination monster. I will allow myself to have guilt-free do-nothing time as a reward, not as a regularity. And I will encourage those around me to let go of the negatives. Don't worry, I'm not going to turn into some psycho cheerleader--I'm going to live by example.

3. Que Sera, Sera. Doris had it down--what will be will be. Worrying about things won't make them better or resolve them. I will change what I can, and do my best to accept what I cannot. I will stop wondering if Sweetheart will ever want to be married again. I will try extremely hard to accept that Son is getting old enough to make his own decisions--and face his own consequences. I will make a concerted effort to attend church regularly, and to leave my needless worrying in God's hands.

And now for the most important resolution of all: I'm going to clean out the basement. (insert scary organ music here)

Happy New Year, Everybody!

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck! What a lucky and magical year for you! Nah, I think they say 40 is the new 30, but better.

I love that song, btw!

Robyn said...

NO! Not the basement!

37 was hard for me; I did the sackcloth and ashes my youth is dead routine for about a year, then I got my groove back. I'm 42 and fabulous! It's great, you'll see.

Anonymous said...

Hey, happy new year. And after you clean out the basement, I have one for you if you're still in clean mode, my basement ready and waiting for ya.