Friday, January 05, 2007

Someday My Prince Will Come

I don't know about you, but I live with a song in my mind every day, 24/7. It's not the same song all the time. Sometimes I'll go through several a day. Sometimes one song will stick around and keep replaying over and over. And then there are the standbys: the songs that are always lurking in the background, ready to take over whenever there is a lull.

When I am at work I usually "hear" children's songs. This afternoon the song of the hour is the theme from "Sound of Music." A person back in the circulation room mentioned they were looking for the tape, and bam! There it was. The other day it was "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka. And of course, as mentioned in the beginning of this article, Snow White's ballad of love is the eternal standby. It's in my mind right now.

Contrarily, the songs at home usually come from whatever was on the radio before I turned the car off. Sometimes it's nice songs--like Johnny Cash or The Beatles or something. Sometimes, it's --gag-- crappy songs that I'd happily give myself a lobotomy to stop "hearing". Like, say, "Missing You" by John Waits or one of those super-sappy Celine Dion songs. Ack. Cough. Someone put me out of my misery.

Someone asked me once if it drives me nuts to always "hear" music in my head. No, I'm pretty used to it--either that, or I'm insane and in denial.

Does anyone else have this constant song-itis? What songs get in your mind? What's the worst song that you couldn't get out of your mind?

Crap. There she goes again.

"...someday my prince will come..."

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to. Constantly.

Somewhere after burn-out settled in and I developed an insane obsession with silence (and a weird irritation with sound), I stopped hearing music in my head.

*sigh*