Sunday, January 07, 2007

The Other Shoe Dropped


I was hoping it wouldn't, but fate, or karma, or Murphy's Law--whatever you want to call it--would not be denied.

Here's the story: we took a chance this year and got son a big ticket item, a Sony PSP. Expensive? Yes. Fragile? You bet!

So between Christmas and New Year, sweetheart and I get more calls from son than we ever have. The PSP isn't working. Son tried upgrading a game without being attached to the internet and, surprise surprise, the system shut down. Permanently.

So after a week of drama, he returns home, the PSP is exchanged on Wednesday and things look brighter. Until this morning when he returned home from spending the night at a friend's house and informed us that the PSP is broken.

That's right, folks, he only had the second one for FOUR DAYS and managed to break it. And it didn't just stop working. Oh, no. It fell off a dresser, hit an amp, the protective polymer screen I special ordered from Amazon cracked and flew off and then that so-fragile game screen--the one that gamers the world over praise and lament at the same time for its superior graphics and extreme sensitivity--cracked as well.

Goodbye, PSP. Goodbye, $250. It was nice knowin' ya.

I'd strangle him, but he's my only shot at grandkids.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohmigosh! Are you buying him a new one? Wow! Oh my goodness. That's just ... ugh!

StarvingWriteNow said...

He has been informed that he must pay for repairs/replacement. We've done enough.

Robyn said...

And this is why I don't think anyone under 16 (i.e., able to get a job) should receive expensive electronics. That said, do I still buy them for my 15 and 13 year olds? Of course. We all do. We're suckers.