Thursday, February 22, 2007

RANT ON

My media patience has just about reached its limit.

In a world such as ours, with a bazillion people, 7 continents, 200-plus countries and 24 hours in a day, you'd think there would be something going on out there more important, more life altering or thought provoking than dead celebrity body battles and bald celebrities hopping in and out of rehab.

I learned "in my day" that it is the responsibility of the journalist to report the news in a neutral fashion, covering the 5 W's while preserving the integrity of both the subject and the reporter. These two stories, headlining for over a week now, have been hashed, rehashed, beaten unto death. The reporters covering these stories seem to relish every grisly, gritty, stinky little detail. Integrity (what's that?) seems to have gone out the window. The media sinks right into the mud pit, going for the Lowest Common Denominator every time.

The most disturbing aspect of this behavior is that these antics are so commonplace, so "every day" that we're getting immune to it. That these extreme, shocking behaviors are becoming normal.

WTF?

I don't want my child to gain adulthood in a world where going to rehab is "normal." I don't want him to think that the LCD is the only viable entertainment option. That the nastier is the better. I don't want him to get all of his "truths" from a TV screen. I don't want him to believe that he "deserves" to be a celebrity or a millionaire without even trying. And most importantly, I don't want him to have to raise his future children in such an environment.

Only time will tell the outcome, but I fear for integrity, decency and plain kindness. For if they get beaten in the ring, what will be left?

RANT OFF

4 Comments:

Robyn said...

Did you see talk show host Craig Fergusson on the Late, Late Show on CBS? He was an alcoholic that's been sober for 15 years, and he flatly refused to make Britney jokes. He said she's a 25 year old baby that has two babies herself, and he wanted to see her get help. I was impressed.

I also read an anonymous rant by a reporter, who asked why he spent so much on his education to headline celeb's latest misbehavior. Gotta agree.

Honey said...

The saddest part, to me, is not only that it's covered, but that the public eats it up. When I accidentally stumbled into the news the other day, CNN was reporting that the B.S. story was getting the most hits on their website. It wouldn't be covered if we didn't watch and tune in. So very sad.

Spy Scribbler said...

Isn't it annoying? I hear you!

I've been out of the loop for the Britney/Anna hoopla lately. I prefer it that way. :-)

Anonymous said...

I also saw the Craig Fergusson show and was relieved that someone at least wouldn't be egging the Brit story on.

It's a harsh world ...