Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Okay, question of the week to send out to the universe:

What f***ed up individual out there decides clothing sizes???

Every store I go into, I fit into a different size. Some 8, some 10, some 12. Some S, some M, some L, and some XL. There are very few places out there where I can trust that if it says 10 on the label, it will fit like a 10.

Amazing. And seriously frustrating to be in the middle of a store, holding up an M that would probably be tight on a newborn, then trying on the L and having it hang on me. Has this happened to anyone else out there? Anyone else in the "between sizes" purgatory dressing room?

What kills me is the teeny sizes: size 0, for instance. How the hell can someone be a size NOTHING? Wouldn't that mean they'd cease to exist? I've heard that there are even negative sizes out there. (!!!)

Another killer is the backhanded compliment term Vanity Sizing. Who invented this, and for whom? I'm not vain, and I don't need to lie about my size, either. Probably the only people who feel the need to lie about their size are the size Zeros who really want to be size Negative Two.

I so totally don't get this rationale. I don't understand, and probably don't want to understand, either.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go pad my size 10 ass with some more chocolate.

4 Comments:

Rhonda Helms said...

ROFL--you're preaching to the choir, sister! I HATE THAT!!!

Spy Scribbler said...

Oh gosh, you're telling the truth! I wish there were some consistency.

DH fails to understand that I just can't tell him what size I am, or that I just can't buy clothes in my size without trying them on. He doesn't believe me!

Robyn said...

It should really serve to cure us all of the proud "I'm a size __" or a horrified "OMG I'm a size__." Nobody truly knows what the h*ll size they are.

I'm just mad that all the designers for plus sizes think that being a plus means you're six feet tall. I have to hem everything.

Anonymous said...

Sizing is mental. I have to pep talk myself that it's about the fit and not the number (doesn't often work) because the size/number always changes depending on the store/brand.

robyn: I'm over 6 ft and I find plus sizes only get wider not longer. I forever moan about the fact the designers seem to think people that need bigger sizes are short :)