Thursday, December 06, 2007



THIRTEEN FAVORITE CHRISTMAS SONGS
.
Christmas songs totally rock. I'll listen to them in July even. I love them all, but following are some of my all-time, hands-down faves:
.
1. Sing We Now Of Christmas--my favorite version is by the Roger Wagner Chorale, but Michael W. Smith does a pretty cool rendition as well.
2. O Come, O Come Emmanuel--this always brings back childhood memories, being in church during advent and all the anticipation.
3. Oh Christmas Tree--the Vince Guaraldi version is the best one, IMO.
4. Breath of Heaven--this is a newer song, but I absolutely love it.
5. The Nightingale's Song--at least, I think it's called that. Garth Brooks sings it and I cry every time the bird flies out of the cage with the mended wing... (rapid blinking here)
6. The Holly And The Ivy--Roger Whittaker version. So powerful and lovely.
7. Hey Santa!--Chris Isaak; it's so Texas-jazzy and fun!
8. Let It Snow--I like Lena Horne's version the best.
9. Wassail Song--Roger Wagner Chorale version.
10. Home For Christmas--it's an orchestral song with whip cracking and all that good stuff. Makes me think of playing in the snow and drinking cocoa and going for sleigh rides--I never have actually gone on one, but still.
11. Gabriel's Message--Sting; it's just wonderful.
12. Christmas Is For Children--Glen Campbell. This is the queerest, sappiest song ever. But I LOVE it.
13. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear--this one always reminds me of childhood and church too.
.
I could list a million more, truly. But it is a TT. And since this is probably going to be the only blog post out there today that talks about favorite Christmas songs, share your faves with me here!
.

4 Comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Do You Hear What I Hear and The Little Drummer Boy were always my favorite. I also like Pat a Pan.

And definitely your first two!

Robyn said...

O Little Town of Bethlehem. "Yet in thy dark streets shineth..." always gave me the good kind of shivers.

I also loved Burl Ives singing Holly Jolly Christmas.

StarvingWriteNow said...

"Holly Jolly" was my son's favorite when he was little. He'd be humming away (in July, sometimes!) then I'd hear "Holly Jolly, Holly Jolly ohhh..."

I like Do You Hear What I Hear too! I think the only Christmas song I don't care for is "Away in a Manger." I don't know why; I've never liked it, though.

Bernita said...

"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," "O Holy Night," "Do You Hear What I Hear," and - as you say - a million more.