Tuesday, January 08, 2008

First Page Paralysis

I stopped writing last year--wait, no, I went on hiatus, that's it--

Anyhow, it is the new year. Full of new challenges, new promises, new dilemmas, new fears, new hopes... blah blah blah.

And new problems. Like, I need to start writing again. And inevitably: where do I start? What do I say? Which project should I pick up again--or should I start fresh from a whole new angle?

Should I just throw out/delete all my past work? (the temptation is great.) Should I go through all the old stuff and only keep what I like best? (this could take time.) Should I try something I haven't before? (fantasy, mystery, erotica...) Should I try and write some articles? (I always have longed to be a columnist, writing a thousand words about...anything. fun! scary! different!)

Or should I just shut up here and get to work already?

Decisions, decisions...

3 Comments:

Bernita said...

Do. Not. Delete.
Nonono.
Your eyes are jaundiced at the moment.

Spy Scribbler said...

LOL ... just write. After a break, everything you (or at least I) write is crap. In fact, after a hiatus, I can't even write in complete sentences anymore.

So just spill shit for a couple days about anything, get things in working order again.

Well, that's my advice, LOL. That's just what works for me. :-)

Robyn said...

DON'T FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THROW ANYTHING AWAY!!!

Could you hear me?

Just write. Write about anything, with your internal editor off. Or at least bound and gagged. The juices will start flowing again.