Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Love and Breastfeeding

Since I've had oodles of "alone time" lately I've thought a lot about life, love and relationships. And I've come to the conclusion that a love relationship is alot like breastfeeding.

Now, I'm no expert on either of these things. In fact, I was an utter failure as a breastfeeder and Son had to get on the bottle (and yes, he grew into a happy, healthy, well adjusted child despite it all). But I did my research, had my experience, learned some stuff, got my diploma by correspondence in just six weeks for $199.99 plus shipping...

Anyhow, this is the theory:

In breastfeeding, the first object is to get the babe and the boob together. It's the same in love.

Once you get latched on, the milk starts to flow. Everything's copasetic.

In breastfeeding (so I learned) the first five minutes or so is all fat. Yummy, tasty fat, hooray! BUT. If you want the babe to be satisfied (not screeching like a banshee) for a few hours, you have to keep them on longer. The babe and the boob have to commit to a full session because the good stuff (proteins, etc.) comes at the end. That's what tides you over.

Love is the same. The first blush is all fat. Attraction, flirting, boinking like bunnies. Yummy, tasty fat, hooray! BUT. If you want the good stuff, you gotta commit. You gotta keep sucking it up if you want the protein that keeps you satisfied.

As in all things, the rewards are worth the wait.

2 Comments:

Robyn said...

I don't think I'll ever look at love in quite the same way. :O

Just kidding; great post.

Missie said...

What Robyn said.