Thursday, April 03, 2008


THIRTEEN TV SHOWS I REMEMBER WELL (and counting)

Television used to be good. People didn't swear constantly, hop into bed with whoever, or kill each other on screen. I think back in "the day", there used to be a line that networks would not cross. A line that said, "TV is an escape from all the unpleasant realities of everyday. Let's make shows nice." Obviously, that line has been obliterated, and I'm not going to go on a soapbox or anything this morning. I'll just share some old shows from my "younger" days:

...from Primetime...

1. The Waltons. I can hear that theme music now.
2. Little House On The Prairie. Yes, we all wanted to be Laura, and I even had a long prairie dress for a while there.
3. The Wonderful World Of Disney. Where would Kurt Russell be without this show?
4. All In The Family. "Edith! Get me another beer, hah?"
5. The Mary Tyler Moore Show. "Who can turn the world on with a smile? Who can take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile? Well it's you girl and you should know it..." (yanked offstage with a cane)
6. Wild Kingdom. Marlin Perkins rocked! What the heck was the name of his assistant, though?
7. Good Times. Dyyy--nooo--miiiite!
8. Star Trek. I could do a whole TT about this one show. Maybe I will.
9. Happy Days. The earliest ones were best, definitely before the Fonzie "shark jumping" incident.
10. M*A*S*H*. I still watch this. Love it.
11. Barney Miller. Classic! I have a hard time ever finding it on TV though.
12. The $6M Dollar Man/Bionic Woman. Oh yes, we all wanted to have bionic parts.
13. The Brady Bunch. "Da-da-da da da DA! Here's the story, of a lovely lady..."
14. Emergency! I loved Randolph Mantooth. He's still pretty hot.
15. Wonder Woman. I still recall, with amazement, how much her body looked like my Malibu Barbie's.
16. Welcome Back Kotter. If not for Vinnie Barbarino, John Travolta might be selling insurance or something.
17. The Rockford Files. Jim Rockford and his cool Camaro were the bomb (at least it's not yellow... just sayin').
18. I Dream of Jeannie. My personal fave was always Major Healy because he was such a dork.
19. ?
.
...and from afternoons, Saturday mornings, etc. I bring you a bonus TT (that may also be added to later):
.
1. Fat Albert. In today's "politically correct" society, Albert probably would have joined Weight Watchers and got skinny or something.
2. Bugs Bunny. Even with the crap edited out of them for TV, these are some of the best cartoons going.
3. Land of the Lost. Dinosaurs, aliens, and cheap special effects! Jackpot!
4. The Superfriends. Gotta love heroes. A friend at my work and I own identical watches and we are the Wonder Twins. (form of: a librarian! shape of: a minivan!)
5. Almighty Isis/Shazam. Doing good while wearing a white mini and go-go boots. What more could you ask for?
6. Josie and the Pussycats. This show had absolutely no point I can recall, but I loved it.
7. Scooby-Doo. Like, wow, Scoob! A show about teens with no parents that live in a psychedelic van! Jinkies!
8. Tom & Jerry. I actually liked Droopy, and that whistling wolf the best.
9. ABC After-School Specials. I can't remember a single one, but I never missed them, either!
10. Monster Movie Matinee. This may have been a regional thing, but I included it for those of you who may remember Igor and Dr. Witty and all those bad B-grade horror flicks (like my personal fave, The Screaming Skull).
11. The Archie Show. Well, Veronica had better clothes, but Betty was nicer. Decisions, decisions...
12. Underdog. "Never fear, Underdog is here!"
13. Hong Kong Phooey. I think Scatman Crothers did the theme song--how couldn't you love it? "Hong Kong Phooey, number one super guy! Hong Kong Phooey, quicker than the human eye!"
14. George of the Jungle. "Watch out for that tree!" (crash!)
15. Laff-a-lympics. Couldn't wait for the competition between the Yogi Yahooies, The Scooby Doobies, and The Really Rottens.
16. Captain Kangaroo. I don't care what anyone says about the captain's LSD trips, I absolutely loved this show--Mr. Green Jeans, Mr. Moose, the Dancing Bear and all those pingpong balls...
Have any to add? Share!

5 Comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

I loved Seventh Heaven (it did start to get a little old at the end), because it was so refreshing, and reminded me of the old-time "wholesome" shows.

Warner Bros. cartoons were awesome, and kids learned great music from it. And I loved Tom and Jerry!

Spy Scribbler said...

(Oh, and Star Trek RULES! God, I miss Star Trek. Pure genius.)

Robyn said...

Marlin's hapless assistant was Jim Fowler, who always wrestled the 103-foot anaconda while Marlin watched from the safety of the helicopter.

Did no one watch Hee Haw but me? Oh, and I LOVED the little School House Rock shorts. I can still sing the Preamble to the Constitution because of those.

StarvingWriteNow said...

Hee Haw!! Oh, I love that show--totally forgot about it.

And yes, Schoolhouse Rock rocks.

"Conjunction Junction, what's your function?"

Bernita said...

The Carol Burnett show w/ the obphone call sceener?