Thursday, May 08, 2008


THIRTEEN GREAT INVENTIONS
.
Yes, yes, I know. None of the following truly are "great" like, say, Edison and the lightbulb great. But they make life heaven for little old me!
.
1. Coffee Makers. I'm old enough to remember my mother using a glass percolator on the stove for the morning coffee. "Plug and play" suits me much better.
2. Inner-spring mattresses. You all know by now how much I love bed, so this one's a no-brainer!
3. Paperback books. Granted, my job in the library makes it possible to read a lot of hardback books. But when it comes to buying, I nearly always go for the paper--the lower cost (in most cases) means I can buy MORE!
4. Spiral-bound notebooks. I've had a long-standing love affair with these. You can take them everywhere, write anywhere... heaven. And speaking of writing...
5. Mechanical pencils. I LOVE these.
6. Natural-waist jeans. Being remarkably short-waisted, I feel like I hit the lottery every time I put a pair of these on. Personal brand faves: Coldwater Creek and Land's End.
7. Office chairs on wheels. I'm sure there's a name for these, but I don't know it. I do know, however, that I love launching myself six ways to Sunday behind my desk.
8. Birkenstock sandals. I've owned one pair since 1990. They're still in one piece and they fit like a glove.
9. Plastic storage tubs. I probably own one in every single size there is (I'm one of those organizer types, dontcha know).
10. Fleece. It's fuzzy, it's warm, and it makes me happy. I'd marry it if I could.
11. Thermal travel mugs. I loves me my coffee--at home, in the car, at work...
12. Text messaging. I can keep in touch with Son when he's out with his homies without embarrassment--he's at that sensitive age...
13. Magnetic clasps. You know, those thingys you attach to either end of a necklace so you don't have to frog around with those teeny tiny hooks?
.
What invention(s) make life worth living for you? Share!

4 Comments:

Robyn said...

That would have to be the internet. Where else could I waste an hour reading about a totally naked man walking down Melrose with a leopard on his shoulders?

Spy Scribbler said...

Oh yes, the internet! Totally addicted, here.

And fleece. I didn't know what fleece was until DH introduced me. Now I wear it ALL the time. I LOVE fleece.

Rhonda Helms said...

Ooooh good post! I second the Internet. I also like books, too. LOL!

Bernita said...

My automatic washer and dryer, followed by the internet.