Tuesday, July 01, 2008

PARENTS
Anyone besides me ever worry about turning into their parents?
I went for a visit last weekend. Overall it was nice; got to see relatives, eat alot, etc. etc. But inevitably, things were said:
Mom: I liked your hair short better.
and
Dad: You're getting stoop shouldered!
Understand that mom has always been a short-hair kind of person and she has hounded me for 20 years that I need to "get a haircut that befits your age, dear." This comment was totally expected and I simply told her I like longer better.
Now, dad is known for the zingers. He tells things like they are and doesn't care if he hurts your feelings or not. Most times this is beneficial. It's also paranoia-inducing. Despite my sisters and brother telling me I look just fine, I've been checking my posture fanatically ever since.
And telling myself, over and over, that I won't turn out just like them. I won't I won't I won't.

4 Comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

It never once has occurred to me that you look stoop-shouldered. At all!

Funny how things our parents say stick to us like that static-y plastic. You can't get it off!

Rhonda Helms said...

ROFL--I think we all worry about that...and in some ways, I'm just like them. Hopefully in all the good ways. LOL

Barbara Martin said...

Invariably, if you keep thinking you will follow in the habits of your parents, you will. You just need stronger resistance; but all that early childhood training does catch up with you.

Robyn said...

The first time I pointed a finger at my child and made my mother's "Unh-unh" noise, I cried.