Thursday, October 23, 2008


THIRTEEN SCARY (MAYBE) FILMS I'VE SEEN

1. Halloween. Hands down, scariest one for me. I worry about every bush and shadow for a week after I see that film.
2. Nosferatu. Just saw this for the first time a few months ago--very good creep-factor to it; and its a silent movie, so that ramps up the atmosphere.
3. Frankenstein. Watched the entire thing last weekend. It's actually a very well done, cerebral film. I was pleasantly surprised.
4. Phantasm. Lame! OMG, so lame! Especially when the tall dude picked up the coffin--I couldn't stop giggling for hours.
5. The Exorcist. I try never to watch this one alone.
6. Friday the 13th. Okay, I never saw this as a teen or anything, so by the time I actually watched it as an adult, I thought it was totally queer. However, I did jump when the Jason dude grabbed the girl out of the canoe in the end.
7. Eraserhead. Long on promise, short on delivery. It's a cult classic, supposed to be scary--frankly, it kind of sucked.
8. The Omen. This movie had mood in spades. The music, the creepy nurse... and that kid! Yikes!
9. The House on Haunted Hill. Okay, it's lame for the most part, but don't tell me you didn't jump the first time that weird blind lady showed up!
10. The Haunting. SO creepy! Loved it!
11. The Screaming Skull. This is a low-grade B movie from way back that probably no one has seen but me and my sisters--I watched it when I was in kindergarten and had nightmares.
12. The Blair Witch Project. I watched this alone, at night, before all the news-hype came out about how they staged it, etc. This movie scared the bejesus out of me!!
13. Alien. The suspense was so thick in this film I literally had to bite my lip to keep from screaming. Very spooky-stressful.
So how about youall? Favorites? Picks? Pans? Share!

4 Comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

I watched Blair Witch Project under the same conditions, and WOW, was it scary!

And what about Signs? Have you seen that? I slept every light on in the house for THREE nights. I'm not exaggerating. Totally freaked me out!

Robyn said...

Psycho was the one that made me mentally ill.

Poltergeist was another that had me screaming like a girl scout at camp with a rubber snake in her sleeping bag.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE The Screaming Skull--the original AND the Mystery Science Theatre 3000 version.

Elizabeth said...

Mystery Science Theater 3000... that is something I miss! Does it show anywhere any more?