Thursday, December 04, 2008


THIRTEEN CHRISTMASSY THOUGHTS
1. I love driving by people's houses that are all lit up. In fact, Son and I purposely go out one night and do "drive-bys" around town to check houses out.
2. Does anybody actually like eggnog? Or is it just one of those things you drink to be polite?
3. I like looking at ribbon candy more than eating it. It's so pretty with all the stripes and fragile waviness--but the flavor has never turned me on.
4. Despite the fact that it is played ad nauseum this time of year, "A Christmas Story" is one of my favorite holiday movies.
5. What, exactly, is wassailing?
6. I read recently that Victorian-era Christmas times were not all warm and fuzzy like the old-fashioned pictures suggest. Apparently people got pretty rowdy during the season back then.
7. The idea of having evergreens in the house goes all the way back to early Scandinavian/Norse culture, when they would chop down an evergreen tree and haul it into the house, stick it in a corner or hang it from the ceiling to remind them, in the darkest days of winter, that spring would come and renew the world again.
8. I HATE marzipan.
9. Does anyone else besides me keep their car radio tuned to that one station that plays holiday music 24/7?
10. My favorite holiday cartoons are Charlie Brown, The Grinch, and Garfield's Christmas. They don't play the Garfield one on TV anymore as far as I know, but it's pretty funny!
11. Does anyone remember the California Raisins Christmas Special?
12. They had a weird tradition in Cleveland for about 15 years or so that a guy named Mr. Jingeling was the keeper of the keys for Santa (I think) and kids would go see him instead of Santa. Crazy. And he was kind of scary looking besides.
13. Speaking of Santa there is a book out filled with pictures of kids crying on Santa's lap. I can't remember the title off the bat, but if I find it I'll post it in comments.
Any random Christmas-like thoughts in your head today? Share!

3 Comments:

Elizabeth said...

Found it: "Scared of Santa: Scenes of Terror in Toyland." I think this is a must for anyone who had to sit on Santa's lap!

Spy Scribbler said...

Ohmigosh, I LOVE eggnog, especially with a hearty portion of brandy. Warms me to the toes!

Except now I can't have it. I can have "silknog." I guess that's not horrible...

Robyn said...

I love eggnog, too. A dairy lover's thing, I think.

And I force my family to watch "A Christmas Story" every year. We can recite it but we still laugh out loud.

Fra-Gee-Lay...that's Italian!