Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Form Letter Flashbacks

This morning over at Romancing The Blog there's a post on rejection letters and whether or not they should be personal (including critique) or general (form-type).

So I'm reading the post, thinking about commenting, when I get a total blast from the past in my poor little brain.

Novelty Form Letters.

Does anyone else remember these? They were a flash in the pan, sold at card shops and variety stores many years ago (I think I was ten or so) on revolving racks. They were on heavy card stock, trifold, and usually colorfully decorated on the outside. There was even a spot for a stamp if you wanted to mail them. There was a letter for just about any circumstance--letters to friends, letters to people you had crushes on, etc... and for just about any event--Valentine's Day, Halloween, whatever. They went something like this:

Dear _____________:

How are you? I am __a: fine and dandy __b: sick as a dog __c: lousy! The weather here is __a: sunny __b: cloudy with a chance of showers __c: blizzarding and fifty below.

Obviously, the ones they sold were a bit more cleverly worded, and there were some way goofy answers, of course, but you get the idea. Anyhow, the whole letter was like that, and you could pick your answers, sign your name and send it off to whomever.

Wow. I haven't thought about those in ages. Does anyone else remember them? Does anyone own one? Share!

2 Comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Ohmigosh! I forgot about those! Totally forgot about those!

They were kinda cool! I don't have a one, LOL ...

Robyn said...

My mom used to write her own and send them to us to fill out and mail back when we'd been late in the communication department. She'd usually include a line like: I am a horribly ungrateful child to ignore a woman who is A. Startlingly good looking B. Fantastically intelligent C. A medical miracle to have three adult children and be 29 years old.