Thursday, October 11, 2007



THIRTEEN STRANGE-BUT-TRUE HEROINE NAMES

What's in a name? At best, it makes a story flow like a hot knife through butter. At worst it packs enough of a weird wallop to dump me right out of the story! I realize I may be treading on thin ice here; some of these girls may be your favorites, and some of these stories were exceptionally written. And yes, though I can't remember every author/title I have read each one of the books these heroines are featured in, cringing at the name every time it comes up.

1. Iphiginia. (Amanda Quick)

2. Bettina. (Johanna Lindsey)

3. Alpin. (Arnette Lamb)

4. Shanna. (Kathleen Woodiwiss)

5. Dulcie. (Day Taylor)

6. Concordia. (Amanda Quick)

7. Margot. (Mary Jo Putney)

8. Fanny. (?)

9. Tedra. (Johanna Lindsey)

10. Meridene. (Arnette Lamb)

11. Prudence. (Amanda Quick)

12. Georgina. (Johanna Lindsey)

13. Belle. (?)

Feel free to add your strange-but-true's! Love your comments!

.

5 Comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

I like Georgina and Belle and Margot, but ... Iphignia??? Dear God, what was she thinking???? That has to top the list of "worst name for a heroine ever."

StarvingWriteNow said...

I still haven't figured out how to pronounce that one...

And I spent the whole of the MJP book knowing it was Mar-go but pronouncing it Mar-got. That "t" drove me crazy.

Bernita said...

"Concordia" is really the only one that makes me wince - though "Iphiginia" is a mouth-full.

StarvingWriteNow said...

Possible pronunciations:

Eye-fi-gin-e-a
i-fi-gin-e-a
Eye-fi-geen-e-a
i-fi-geen-e-a
Eye-fig-in-e-a
i-fig-in-e-a

It's a true puzzle, folks.

Robyn said...

It's Eff-eh-jin-eye-ah. Like in Mrs. Doubtfire. Now, there's a visual for a heroine.

Honestly, the ones I can't get past are plain names spelled wierdly. Alys- Alice. Merrie- Mary. I even read of Burthah, which is of course Bertha. At least Iphignia and Concordia are truly exotic!