Thursday, December 11, 2008

THIRTEEN CHRISTMAS SONGS I LOVE TO HATE

1. Away in a Manger--Hands down, the tops on my list. I've disliked it since childhood. This song makes me want to pinch someone every time I hear it.
2. The Christmas Shoes--Smarmy, sappy, whiny... get me a bucket, 'cause I'm gonna throw up.
3. Twelve Days of Christmas--only the ones that get the order wrong (it's twelve drummers, eleven pipers, ten lords, nine ladies!).
4. Christmas in Sarajevo--Depressing as hell.
5. Do They Know It's Christmas?--Do they care it's Christmas?
6. So This Is Christmas--Better titled "FEEL GUILTY FOR WANTING PRESENTS AND BELIEVING IN SANTA CLAUS AND DRINKING EGGNOG AND HAVING FUN FOR ONE DAY."
7. All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth--That whistling! And you know as soon as that kid's teeth grew in the neighborhood bully punched them back out again.
8. Wonderful Christmastime--Just annoying--the beat, the weird synthesized music...ick!
9. This Christmas--I never liked Ally McBeal, and this song just reminds me of all that, over and over. And the FS, which is SO not necessary.
10. Santa Baby--I don't know why I don't like this one. I just don't.
11. Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer--It was funny 20 years ago. But that was 20 YEARS ago.
12. Little Drummer Boy--All that pa-rum-pa-pum-pumming makes me want to pick up a bat and pa-rum-pa-pum-pum Drummer Dude to a pulp.
13. My Favorite Things--This is not a Christmas song! It's from Sound of Music, people! Sound of Freaking Music! It's a thunderstorm song! Why couldn't you just leave it there? Why??
Okay, sharing time! What happy sappy holiday tunes set your teeth on edge?

3 Comments:

Missie said...

"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" as sung by Amy Grant. I really really like Amy Grant, and I don't mind the song, but put the two together and I am wanting to hurt someone.

"Tender Tennessee Christmas" always makes me cry, even though I haven't been to Tennessee since I was a toddler. That makes me not like the song.

Robyn said...

AMEN to #6. I hate that song.

I actually like We Three Kings, but I always hear my brothers' version in my head. "We three Kings of Orient are, tried to smoke a rubber cigar..."

Elizabeth said...

tried to smoke a rubber cigar?? LOL!!!!

One song that makes me cry is that "Nightingale's Song" by Garth Brooks, whom I hate. But I love the song.