Wednesday, January 14, 2009


20 QUESTIONS (no, not really...)

Believe it or not folks, after a looooonnng sabbatical, my fingers are getting the itch to return to writing once again. (okay, youall can pick yourselves up off the floor now.) No, I won't be cranking out the next Great American Novel any time soon, but I will be pecking away at those thoughts on the back burner and blogging about it once or twice a week right here at StarvingWriteNow.

In thinking about writing, naturally I thought about reading as well, and some questions came to mind. I shall share what I think and encourage you to do the same here in comments or on your own blogs. I stole some of them (and this idea, to be honest) from Deanna, who is answering reader questions on her blog this week. If you have a hot one, stop by her blog and check it out! She writes lovely posts (and awesome books!) and often has cool links to share as well.

On to the questions:

1. What is your least favorite book that has been called a classic?

(Probably anything by James Fenimore Cooper. Sure, "Last of the Mohicans" was a fun movie, but a major snooze in print.)

2. What (if any) book you "had to" read in high school/college that you disliked have you since reread and discovered you liked/loved?

(I have two: "The Grapes of Wrath" and "Moby Dick.")

3. If you are an Austen reader, who is your favorite hero?

(Darcy is an obvious choice, of course, but I like Captain Wentworth from "Persuasion" the best. His love letter to Anne... sigh!)

4. If you could claim one book by another author as your own, whose would it be?

("Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. It's just an amazing read, and considering the political/economic climate today, very significant.)

5. If you are currently writing, is there an author whose storytelling style you admire/emulate?

(I've always liked Ernest Hemingway. He could do run-on sentences like nobody's business!)

6. What's the biggest (page-wise) book you've ever read?

(Probably "War and Peace" though I've plowed my way through other monsters like "Gone With The Wind", "The Count of Monte Cristo" and "The Fountainhead.")

7. If you had to think up a creative writing "assignment" for a class, what would you have them write about?

(Probably my standard question: "What if your ears were where your eyes are and your eyes were where your ears are?)

Happy day! Keep warm, and have fun!


4 Comments:

Spy Scribbler said...

Yay! I'm planning on going to Fireplace Borders on Friday and Saturday, if you want to pop by and be inspired by the smell of books!

3. Darcy. I will never get Colin Firth out of my mind, though. Oh man, that scene... !
4. Jane Eyre
5. Charlotte Bronte, Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens
6. A biographer of Catherine the Great that I gobbled up in a day and half. It took me 23 hours to read, but I loved it.

Robyn said...

OOOOOO! The itch! Congratulations. It must be catching- I'm getting back to it, too.

Elizabeth said...

Hooray! We're all itching!

Missie said...

"Hooray! We're all itching!"

Sweetheart, please don't say that in public, mkay?


p.s. My word verif is "poted", which might be what people call you if you declare that you are itching...